Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Increasingly overwhelmed


"The more I learn, the more I learn how little I know "- Socrates

While in school ,exams used to be overwhelming for me. Of course, it didn't help that I had the attention span and memory of a flea.

My family appears to be full of science oriented people ; teachers, doctors, scientists, engineers.My mother used to be a biology teacher , however what she loved most was chemistry.I was especially bad at science and my mother tried very hard to switch on the science in me.

As I was growing up she regularly explained to me about the different types of plants that surrounded us and the majesty of every tiny thing that lived on our tiny planet. Frogs and birds were always pointed out.She taught me to appreciate the tiny insects that crawled all our backyard ( and occasionally inside). She always told me their names if she knew it.
But what I always noticed was the patterns.The gorgeous colors on the hard exoskeleton  and  the fiery faces on some them, the honey that accumulates in the transparent tummy of the ant.
Her most favorite form of art was organic chemistry.The way they bonded was beautiful for her.And of course it was one of my worst subjects.
I genuinely don't remember most of the names of those insects ( and other living beings ) that she pointed out to me. And organic chemistry I ditched a long long while ago.She thinks she hasn't taught me anything worthwhile.

She used to tell me " only if you learn will you know how less you actually know ". ( I am sure she didn't know Socrates was there before her.Thank you Google. )
That one statement is probably the only thing that has stayed with me since then.The more I read,the more I see, the more I live ,the more I realize how little I know about anything.

So Amma, you see, I  have learnt at least one thing.That I know nothing.
To accept that most things are lessons that I haven't learned yet.And that there is something new for me everyday ,however routine it may look on the outside.And at this time , this phase in my life , I truly realize how remarkable you are.

I know you worry that haven't taught me anything , but you have taught me everything that I hold dear.

Thank you Amme.

Happy Birthday.I love you very much.







No comments:

Post a Comment